Are you a writer, a travel blogger, or just someone who has a skill for imparting information in a humorous and informative way? How’d you like to publish a guest post on Practical Wanderlust? It’s the big leagues, kid. You’re gonna be a shtar!
Well, not really.
But if the glory of publication (and some links back to your site) is enough for you – cuz y’all know I can’t afford to pay, right? – and you want to share your writerly creation with our 80k monthly readers, here’s what you need to know.
The Kinds of Guest Posts We’re Looking For
There are a zillion travel blogs out there, and each one has its own distinct style. Our style (and our writerly voice) is why 80k people read OUR blog each month instead of going to the zillions of other blogs that are probably disseminating similiar information. So, voice is key. This is what a guest post for Practical Wanderlust needs:
- Your guest post should drip with sass. We’re looking for general hilariousness and funny anecdotes, told with ridiculousness and humor (but not like, in a mean way). Do you got jokes? Jokes are good. We also like cussing (although we try to bleep that sh*t out). If your friends describe you as “the funny one” and you know how to get a tell a story in just the right way to keep a group of people laughing, you’re a fantastic fit for Practical Wanderlust.
- Your guest post should be insanely informative. “Practical” is in our blog name for a reason: we’re all about disseminating down to earth, useful information. If you’re writing about a place, you should cover all of its angles, and not leave a lot of questions for our readers to search for elsewhere. If you’re telling us a story, it should include some tips and lessons that our readers can put to use. This is why most of our posts are pretty freaking long.
- Your guest post should be built around a competitive keyword. We can help with the keyword research, but it definitely helps if you have something in mind before you pitch to us. We’ll need to find a keyword that you can design your post around before you start writing!
- Your guest post should be relevant to our readers. Your topic should be something that our readers are interested in. Spend a few minutes browsing our site to get a feel of our content. Here’s a few things our readers like:
- USA travel
- South America travel
- Food, booze, and coffee travel
- Things nobody tells you about
- Local’s guides
- Day trips & Weekend trips
- Self-guided walking tours
Have an idea? Awesome. We’d love to hear it! Use the form at the bottom of this page to send us a message with your pitch.
Guest Post Guidelines
If we love your pitch, we’ll be looking for a guest post that follows these guidelines. We might request a few edits before we’re ready to publish your post on our site.
- At least 1,500 words. At the bare minimum, your post must be 1.5k words. We don’t really write short posts. We don’t think they’re sufficient to convey the depth of information that our readers come to our site looking for.
- No more than 5 links to your site. Feel free to sprinkle your 5 links wherever you like to reap the SEO benefits of guest posting!
- A short bio about yourself. Our readers want to be introduced to you before they dive into your amazing post, so give them a little bio with some context about who you are!
- If you have photos, they must be high-res and edited. Photos aren’t a requirement for a guest post on our site, but we love when you have high-res edited photos (at least 900px wide). If you are including photos, they should match the content of the post and be visually stunning. If photos aren’t your strong suit or we don’t feel they’re a good fit for the content of your post, we may source some photos from elsewhere to use instead at our own discretion.
Please note that we will try to limit edits to your post as much as possible, but we reserve the right to make changes to fit the tone, voice, or narrative flow of your post to fit our site. Whenever possible we will ask you for edits before we make our own changes.
Send Us a Pitch!
Have an idea? We want to hear it! Use the form below to send us a pitch with your idea. If you already have a post completed that you’d like to send us instead, you can reach us at contact(at)practicalwanderlust.com.
Psst, let's make this a thing!
Like what you're reading? Subscribe! We'll only send occasional emails with content that doesn't suck, we promise.